Zolnier Season 20 Championship Preview
The Zolnier SFL Championship Game presented by APM Music kicks off Friday May 12 at 8 pm ET on the SFL's YouTube channel.
You can catch a replay of the game on national television via Next Level Sports Saturday May 13 at 6:30 pm ET. Here's all you need to know about the historical matchup:
- It's the second time in SFL history the Championship has featured the same two teams from the previous season's title game. The other occurrence: Season 11, when the Alaska Storm met the Tallahassee Pride in a rematch of Season 10's Championship. Alaska faced Denver once in Season 12 and then again as the Florida Storm in Season 16.
- Baltimore goes for history, trying to become the first SFL franchise to win five Championships - and they could do it in just a six-season stretch. Queen City is tied with the Vultures for most all-time currently, with four. Baltimore Co-Owner Thomas Paterniti has already won more titles than any other - six in total, including his two when he owned the Minneapolis Maulers.
- The Vultures won their first title on the road in Sioux Falls back in Season 15, the last time the visiting team won the big game. Home teams are 14-5 in the big game all-time.
- Fatality Field, the home of the Scorpions, will be hosting its fourth title game, after hosting the last two Minor League Championships, both won by the Albuquerque Atoms and the Atoms first title win back in Season 2. The closest SFL city to the SFLm's best record in the title game hosts the game each season.
- Baltimore has a 63% win percentage on the road, best in league history. Their +131 in net points this season led the league. Arizona had the best third down defense in the regular season, 46% and led the league in rushing, stacking up 130 yards per game.
- Quarterback Jack Wigmore led the league in completion percentage (77%) while Quarterback Ashley Jackson on the flip side was sacked the least amount of times (9). Running back D.J. Moses II led the league in rushing yards (1,511) and rushing yards per carry (6.1). Defensive Tackle Hunter Norwood led the league in tackles for loss (27). Baltimore's Ivory Ervin led the SFL in punt yards per return (10.4).
Cameron Irvine (play-by-play) and Chris Curtis (analysis) will call the game. Tyler Falk will host the studio show, paired with analysts Mike St. Green and Paul Sarp. Ashley Jackson and Mike O'Neal will contribute to the show with coach/owner interviews and film breakdown, respectively.